Skip to main content

Day 17: Riding the rollercoaster

I've passed the two week mark, and it feels a bit like the honeymoon is over.  I've been very emotionally stable for the first two weeks (definitely an answer to prayer), but the last couple of days I've been more up and down, more tired, more frustrated.

In terms of hearing voices, when I'm in a quiet room, it feels to me like I'm approaching what I could hear with aids, albeit with the volume turned down several notches.  Voices are becoming clearer, and so I find myself trying to hear more, unlike the first 10-12 days when I was relying totally on lipreading and not paying much attention to the sounds.  Which is fine when it's quiet.  But when it gets noisy - by the busy road on the school run, as already mentioned, or in a noisy playground before school, or this afternoon when they had open classroom, for parents to pop in and see their childrens' artwork - then it gets a whole lot harder.  The CI seems to work to mute background noise - so I'm aware there is background noise, but it doesn't seem very loud to me - but in the process, voices close to me are muted as well.  Which is very frustrating.  And so I'm thrown back to relying fully on lipreading, which I can do - but it's a lot harder when I'm tired, when there's other noises that don't match the speaker's lip patterns (which confuses my brain), and sometimes, well, I just don't want to do that work - I just want everything to be quiet so I can hear only the sounds that make the lipreading easier.  Something to talk to the audiologist about at my next appointment, in one week, to see if he can tweak the settings.

I'm also starting to feel a bit stressed as the house gets less clean, less tidy, a 5th birthday is coming up (plus a party 10 days later), and the list of things to do gets longer.  I'm feeling like I should be able to get on and do these things now - come on, it's been over two weeks already!  But I'm still very tired, my brain is still having to work hard and learn lots, so I need a rest everyday (or ideally two - but that never happens!). And I still need to make some time to do my SLT homework.  So there's very little time or energy left for tidying or chores.  I need to cut myself some slack.  Only trouble is, it's much easier to type that, than to do it!
We don't have any of these in our house - yet...

On the positive front, I heard birds tweeting yesterday! We were eating lunch outside and Stuart asked me if I could hear the birds, and I realised that my brain was registering some beeps that matched the bird sounds Stuart could hear!  Unfortunately we are not well enough versed in ornithology to know which birds I was hearing.  Sparrows, bluetits, robins and goldfinches are the ones that frequent our garden, so probably one of those...

Today was also the first day of cycling alone with the trailer in tow.  That went fine, although helped by traffic being surprisingly light in the morning's rush hour today - maybe some people have already gone on their half term holidays?  I am still not hearing approaching traffic behind, but that's OK - we'll get there one day.  If I can, I avoid routes that involve crossing roads on a blind corner - not even perfect vision can compensate for lack of hearing there!

Tomorrow I'm moving up to programme number four, out of five, that I was given to work through over this fortnight.  I also have a morning of solo parenting as Stuart (again) works on a Saturday (just a half day this time, thankfully) and an afternoon of accompanying Reuben to a disco birthday party.  My Mum comes back on Sunday for a few days, which we are all looking forward to, for various reasons, including haircuts for the boys, more rest for me, and some extra encouragement and emotional support. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6: Return to routine

Six days after switch-on. First day back into routine.  And I'm still alive to write a blog post.  I have felt so supported, both practically, and through answers to all those prayers that so many of you are praying for me - thank you. I'm now on programme three, out of the four I need to progress through by Friday. A bit louder, a bit more eye frazzling at times, but not too much.  A few more sounds being detected, like the tap running, microwave beeping, and toilet paper tearing (!). The school run is a largely silent trip for me, as I'm not yet noticing traffic noise or voices at a distance, though I did find the playground a source of some noise.  This afternoon school run was pretty incredible though.  I was expecting to shuffle in, hide in the corner of the playground and just nod distantly at my Mum-friends (you know, in the way that says "hello-nice-to-see-you-but-I-don't-want-to-talk-to-anyone-today"), and shuffle home again.  Or something like t...

Day 15: Increasing vocal recognition

Today is two weeks since switch-on.  It feels like a month, but at the same time it feels like no time at all.  The paradox of time that I'm sure you'll all recognise. Voices seem to be sounding increasingly like voices to me, which is encouraging.  The voices still sound very distant and unclear, and with a limited variety of tones, much as I imagine a hearing person would hear a voice through a thick wall of glass, or a fire door.  I'm noticing various "shush-y" sounds and breathy sounds, presumably as I'm beginning to hear some more high pitched frequencies.  Paragraph tracking is getting easier, and now I'm starting to listen for specific sounds, like "s", "ch", "sh" as I read - seeing the word on the page helps me know what I'm listening for (more subconsciously than consciously), which is the point of the exercise - helping my brain hear and identify different speech sounds. I tried my SLT homework last night wi...