After a, let's just say, somewhat less good night's sleep than usual, we checked onto B ward at RNTNE at 7.25 this morning.
I was first on the schedule, so everything happened pretty quickly: meeting Nish Mehta my surgeon, Raj the anaesthetist, and Maria my nurse.
I went into surgery at 8.30am, and at 11.10am Nish came to speak to my Mum waiting on the ward. My Mum was very relieved to hear from Nish that "everything went perfectly and Jean behaved herself" (what naughtiness was he expecting me to get up to under anaesthetic? 😉)
He also said that it was a "full insertion" (he was able to coax the electrode all the way into the centre of the cochlea) which is great news, and hopefully means I'll hear more high frequency sounds with the CI device, which I'll never have heard before.
I'm thankful for an impressively quick recovery from the General Anaesthetic this afternoon (fitness plays a big part in this, I'm told - the latest in a string of reasons I'm glad Stuart got me started running (something I avoided all my life!) just 9 months ago!). As I write, at 6pm, I have been discharged, and am waiting for London rush hour to die down so Mum and I can get a cab to Waterloo, and a train to home Looking forward to being back in my own bed!
A HUGE thank you to those of you who have been praying. Everything has gone so incredibly smoothly, right from me not fainting from lack of breakfast (it's happened enough times before!), through to the operation going smoothly, and the quick recovery afterwards. That speaks to me so clearly that God was in charge of it all. 😊
I was first on the schedule, so everything happened pretty quickly: meeting Nish Mehta my surgeon, Raj the anaesthetist, and Maria my nurse.
I went into surgery at 8.30am, and at 11.10am Nish came to speak to my Mum waiting on the ward. My Mum was very relieved to hear from Nish that "everything went perfectly and Jean behaved herself" (what naughtiness was he expecting me to get up to under anaesthetic? 😉)
Me almost awake, 1pm
He also said that it was a "full insertion" (he was able to coax the electrode all the way into the centre of the cochlea) which is great news, and hopefully means I'll hear more high frequency sounds with the CI device, which I'll never have heard before.
I'm thankful for an impressively quick recovery from the General Anaesthetic this afternoon (fitness plays a big part in this, I'm told - the latest in a string of reasons I'm glad Stuart got me started running (something I avoided all my life!) just 9 months ago!). As I write, at 6pm, I have been discharged, and am waiting for London rush hour to die down so Mum and I can get a cab to Waterloo, and a train to home Looking forward to being back in my own bed!
Ready to go home at 5pm!
A HUGE thank you to those of you who have been praying. Everything has gone so incredibly smoothly, right from me not fainting from lack of breakfast (it's happened enough times before!), through to the operation going smoothly, and the quick recovery afterwards. That speaks to me so clearly that God was in charge of it all. 😊


We are with you through your CI journey xx
ReplyDelete