Skip to main content

Recovery

I underestimated the impact of the Cochlear Implant surgery on my body.  I was told "it's day surgery, you'll be discharged the same day, and you'll be fine to go home on the train as long as you have an adult with you".  So I took that information and assumed, maybe a day or two of sleeping late and then I'd be back to normal. I've never had General Anaesthetic before, and certainly never had my skull drilled into(!), so had no idea how I would react.

The reality is that five days after surgery, I no longer feel woozy, but I still feel so tired. I still have a numb left ear plus area around it (which is no doubt helping with the pain from the incision just behind the left ear!). My sense of taste is yet to return (occasionally I think I can taste something, but it's very fleeting), and about half of my tongue is still numb. I can't tip my head too far in any direction or I feel dizzy or have a strong uncomfortable feeling of pressure in my left ear. My left ear "pops" frequently, as the pressure adjusts. And if I do too much, the discomfort in and around my left ear increases quite rapidly, sending me back to bed for another rest!

All that sounds a lot, but really it's not much.  The pain is much less than feared, the wound is clean and healing well.  And all of these issues mentioned above should resolve themselves with time (anything from a few weeks (for the internal discomfort) to a year (numbness and taste)). I'm thankful that I didn't react in any way negatively to the anaesthesia, no nausea or dizziness, etc. It's just taking longer than I had expected.  And that is a bit tricky when I have two small children depending on me, and a mother and husband who have done a huge amount to support, and allow me to rest, last week but who both need to get back to work now.

I'm grateful for friends who are going to help with looking after Cameron this week, and other friends willing to step in for the school run if need be. I'm grateful for good friends who took the boys to church this morning (I went back to bed and slept two hours when they'd gone!), and a husband who has taken them out for the rest of the day so I can have a day of rest at home. I'm grateful for a glimmer of sunshine coming through the windows from outside as I type, and warming me up. Lots to be grateful for! :)

I've taken advantage of the empty house to make some (very) loud noises and see what my ears can hear, without hearing aids.  Slamming doors and playing notes on the electric piano on max volume.  I'm impressed to find that there are still some sounds I can hear with my left ear, although it is noticeably less good than the right (especially with the higher notes on the piano), so there is clearly some damage - which I expected.  I actually expected not to be able to hear anything at all in my left ear after implantation, so I'm impressed the surgeon has been so skilled as to cause minimal further damage to my defective cochlea (the cause of my deafness since birth) during insertion of the electrodes. When my left ear has fully healed I will try putting my hearing aid back in just as an experiment to compare before and after surgery. I am an engineer/scientist at heart, after all...

I'm now in a time of limbo, with regards to my CI. On Tuesday I go back to the hospital for a one week checkup, and then my next visit will be just over four weeks later, when I go on the 1st May for the big "switch-on".  One advantage of having a young family at this time is that I won't have much time to dwell on this big event coming up, as I re-immerse myself in their lives and big emotions over the next few weeks! I may manage another post during this time, or I may not. For those of you who requested it, an email alert will let you know if I do!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6: Return to routine

Six days after switch-on. First day back into routine.  And I'm still alive to write a blog post.  I have felt so supported, both practically, and through answers to all those prayers that so many of you are praying for me - thank you. I'm now on programme three, out of the four I need to progress through by Friday. A bit louder, a bit more eye frazzling at times, but not too much.  A few more sounds being detected, like the tap running, microwave beeping, and toilet paper tearing (!). The school run is a largely silent trip for me, as I'm not yet noticing traffic noise or voices at a distance, though I did find the playground a source of some noise.  This afternoon school run was pretty incredible though.  I was expecting to shuffle in, hide in the corner of the playground and just nod distantly at my Mum-friends (you know, in the way that says "hello-nice-to-see-you-but-I-don't-want-to-talk-to-anyone-today"), and shuffle home again.  Or something like t...

Day 17: Riding the rollercoaster

I've passed the two week mark, and it feels a bit like the honeymoon is over.  I've been very emotionally stable for the first two weeks (definitely an answer to prayer), but the last couple of days I've been more up and down, more tired, more frustrated. In terms of hearing voices, when I'm in a quiet room, it feels to me like I'm approaching what I could hear with aids, albeit with the volume turned down several notches.  Voices are becoming clearer, and so I find myself trying to hear more, unlike the first 10-12 days when I was relying totally on lipreading and not paying much attention to the sounds.  Which is fine when it's quiet.  But when it gets noisy - by the busy road on the school run, as already mentioned, or in a noisy playground before school, or this afternoon when they had open classroom, for parents to pop in and see their childrens' artwork - then it gets a whole lot harder.  The CI seems to work to mute background noise - so I'm awa...

Day 15: Increasing vocal recognition

Today is two weeks since switch-on.  It feels like a month, but at the same time it feels like no time at all.  The paradox of time that I'm sure you'll all recognise. Voices seem to be sounding increasingly like voices to me, which is encouraging.  The voices still sound very distant and unclear, and with a limited variety of tones, much as I imagine a hearing person would hear a voice through a thick wall of glass, or a fire door.  I'm noticing various "shush-y" sounds and breathy sounds, presumably as I'm beginning to hear some more high pitched frequencies.  Paragraph tracking is getting easier, and now I'm starting to listen for specific sounds, like "s", "ch", "sh" as I read - seeing the word on the page helps me know what I'm listening for (more subconsciously than consciously), which is the point of the exercise - helping my brain hear and identify different speech sounds. I tried my SLT homework last night wi...